Cumberland Volunteer Rescue Squad (CVRS), along with Cumberland Volunteer Fire Department, was founded on June 15, 1955 by Raymond “Pete” and Muriel Peters. Mr. and Mrs. Peters secured an Army surplus Packard ambulance and put a down payment on a fire truck. An alarm was installed in their yard in the Courthouse area to summon volunteers to rescue and fire calls.
Much has changed over the past 60 years. Currently, CVRS provides advanced (ALS) and basic life support (BLS) for the Courthouse region and county-wide, working with 24-hour coverage contracted through Emergency Services Solutions.
Contact the Department of Fire & EMS for additional information.